Port-i386 archive

Re: [ACPI] Acer Aspire 1700

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:53:08AM +0200, BERTRAND Joel wrote:
> As it worked fine with Solaris, I suppose that this control is done
> by operating system, but I don't understand why CPU fan does not start when
> ACPI is disabled. Is there any workaround or patch ? I haven't found any
> information.

On some systems the fan is controlled by the operating system via ACPI.
Consequently, if the latter is disabled, it is possible that the fan does
not work. The temperature threshold for "active cooling" by a fan is
generally imposed by the firmware.

The question is: why you need to disable ACPI?

- Jukka.