Port-i386 archive

Re: Errors when compiling current- PAE

On 03/02/10 00:27, Piotr wrote:
Hi all,

I do not know if PAE works on i386- I thought I can have mapping for more than
3GB of my memory.

You cannot have more than 3GB of virtual memory for userland, even with PAE; virtual addressing remains at 32 bits. PAE only increases the physical address space up to 36 bits (but this is invisible to user processes).

Anyway sources cvs yesterday, options PAE added to the GENERIC
kernel- here output of the compilation:

GENERIC does not support PAE yet (but will in the upcoming weeks).

I test it under Virtualbox with option PAE enable under linux x86_64. I cannot
use netbsd amd64 b/c my 3945 just doesn't work.

Without PAE in GENERIC config kernel builds succesfuly. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing.

Unless you strictly need PAE (NX bit support, or 36 bits physical addressing), you are better off without it.

Does VB on 64 bits hosts require 32-bits guest with PAE?

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost