Port-i386 archive

Re: 5.0.1 boot messages: a few questions

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 02:53:22PM -0500, Anne Bennett wrote:
> (1) How can I find out what these "not configured" things are
>     under acpi0, and whether they can or should be recognized?
>
>     IELK (AWY0001) at acpi0 not configured
>       [Googling reveals this to be "AMD AwayMode", probably unimportant]

No idea. Likely some vendor-specific addition to ACPI.

>     ECP1 (PNP0401) at acpi0 not configured
>       [An Epson printer driver???  that makes no sense...]

This is the normal parallel port, lpt(4). It can be configured via ACPI
(lpt* at acpi?), but this is commented out in the GENERIC configuration file
(probably for a good reason).

>     FWH (INT0800) at acpi0 not configured
>       ["Firmware hub" or "PCI bus"???]

This one handles things like Intel HW random number generator. It should be
supported, but it is handled outside ACPI.

>     FAN (PNP0C0B) at acpi0 not configured
>       [Control of the CPU fan?]

Yes, this is a so-called ACPI fan. People have written drivers for it, but
there is not much to be gained from such dummy drivers.

- Jukka.