Port-i386 archive

Re: 5.0.1 boot messages: a few questions

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Anne Bennett wrote:

(1) How can I find out what these "not configured" things are
   under acpi0, and whether they can or should be recognized?

I'm not an expert -- and this is perhaps not a direct answer -- but I believe those messages come from hardware that is not handled via ACPI (obviously); but they can still recognized and attached to something else.

For instance, on this (old) motherboard I have I get similar warnings related to serial and parallel ports, but they're picked up later as connected to an "isa" bus. So presumably they can and should be recognized, but it's no big deal that they're not.

   ECP1 (PNP0401) at acpi0 not configured
     [An Epson printer driver???  that makes no sense...]

Probably the parallel (printer) port itself, since "ECP" is a related standard. It might show up as an "lpt" later.

   FWH (INT0800) at acpi0 not configured
     ["Firmware hub" or "PCI bus"???]
   FAN (PNP0C0B) at acpi0 not configured
     [Control of the CPU fan?]

I'd file this under "obscure chipset stuff", but someone else might know.

(It looks like the sort of thing that is either not important (fan), and doesn't matter much; or really important (root pci bus), and if it didn't work it would be obvious.)

(2) "Stolen" memory?  What the hey?

   pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
   pchb0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x2770 (rev. 0x02)
   pchb0: returns constant 0xff stream, RNG disabled.
   agp0 at pchb0: detected 7932k stolen memory
   agp0: aperture at 0xe0000000, size 0x10000000

I'll be the first to admit my lack of knowledge about graphics cards, but with AGP I think it's not that uncommon to see cards that "borrow" memory from the motherboard rather than carrying memory on the card itself, especially on the low end.

(3) Any idea what this unknown product is?

   pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
   vendor 0x14f1 product 0x2f20 (miscellaneous communications) \
     at pci1 dev 5 function 0 not configured

An internal modem? Google says "SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP", which sounds about right for "miscellaneous".

MAgnus