Port-i386 archive

Re: mac virtualization recommendation

On Nov 12, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

I have an intel macbook pro just under 2 years old, with 10.5.8. I have parallels 3.0, and on booting netbsd-5 or netbsd-current it hangs after
 atttimer0: attached to pcppi0

I turned off VT-x (thanks hubertf blog), and it seemed to work for
netbsd-5, but now I can't repeat that feat.

What are people's current recomendations for running netbsd in a vm on a
mac?  I would like to be able to do kernel debugging, plus use the
netbsd system normally. As long as a license is less than a $100- $200,
I don't really care how much; I'd rather minimize grief.  It seems the
plausible choices are vmware fusion and parallels.

I've been using VMWare Fusion successfully for a while now - (v2; haven't upgraded to v3), but I don't use X at all under netbsd so I have no idea how well it works (or doesn't). I run netbsd/i386 and netbsd/amd64 successfully - 4, 5, and a very recent -current.

(I've also used Parallels, but not in almost 2 years)

+j