Port-i386 archive

Re: PCI internal SATA cards?

I'd like to glom a request onto der Mouse's query: Two in fact.

specifically, can people speak to the *current* generation of Dell perc/SAS cards and their RAID-nicissity. Dell now have a SAS6i, a PERC5i and a PERC6i listed as options in their normal 1u/2u rackmounts.

and, secondly, and COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY

is GPT mature enough, that software raid on GPT is viable? Because I am very very very scared of being exposed to 'you are locked to this raid card, this physical order of disk' problems, and GPT sounds like in principle, it avoids that

-G