Port-i386 archive

Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jared D. McNeill
<jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost> wrote:
> David Holland wrote:
>>
>> The only one of the tasks as such that I have concerns about is the OS
>> branding/boot splash screen thing. However, jmcneill has already told
>> me in so many words that he's not interested in my opinion, and for
>> the time being I don't feel inclined to push any further.
>
> I said it before and I'll say it again. I am not interested in discussing
> the merits of supporting this feature; however, I am very interested in
> discussing technical and implementation details.

maybe could we speak on better recent hardware support rather than
fancy splash screen ? You can have the best integration design, if
you're not supporting underlying hardware, you won't go far and users
won't use your OS.

For my latest laptop, I had write support code for the ethernet
adapter (ok, just one line), had to write support for the graphic
chipset (a bit more lines), had to integrate support for the wireless
adapter (we both know that the driver is broken, and our wireless
stack is completely rotted). I am sure that even now, there is a lot
of missing PCI ID in pcidevs. I am still unable to use the SD/MMC card
reader, I tried suspend (S3) once and everything blows up at wake up,
hot-key are not supported, the audio codec seems also broken...

In French, I'd say, "tu essaies de mettre la charrue avant les
boeufs", and it is likely to blow up (if it has not already).

 - Arnaud