Port-i386 archive

Re: Running NetBSD from an external USB drive

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Malcolm Herbert wrote:

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 08:51:32PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
|       Had quite good experience doing this for the last few days
|       after the fan on my Thinkpad T60p choked.
|
|       Had to adjust fstab and cgd.conf to handle the wd0 -> sd0 change,
|       and add a small rc.d script to automatically adjust xorg for the
|       graphics chipset and wpa_supplicant for the wireless one if I
|       wanted to move it between machines, but overall... not too bad.

I tend to set up my single-disk hosts with a RaidFRAME broken mirror as
the entries in /etc/fstab reference /dev/raid0x no matter where it is
mounted from ...

As a bonus, if I want to make it more resilient I just add the second
disk ...

        Thats not a bad trick - I'll have to do that next time I
        install (or play games shuffling my existing filesystems 64
        blocks down the disk.... hmm.... :) Thanks