Port-i386 archive

Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

David Brownlee wrote:
    e) OS branding, x86 only

       Pretty boot screen and progress bar. Aha - now this I would
       turn off, and I would hope the 'expert' install choice would
       default it to off.

That's the plan. This work is going to benefit some embedded platforms as well, as we'll be adding an image loader to libsa and the appropriate hooks in wsdisplay; think of eg. a netbooting IPTV set-top box, where you can't get away with either spewing text or displaying nothing on screen until your application is up and running (which on a diskless device can be in the order of minutes). I'm sure there are plenty more examples where this would be handy.

Cheers,
Jared