Port-i386 archive

Re: cpuflags (optimal compiler flags for building)

David Brownlee wrote:
>     cpuflags attempts to determine the optimal compile flags for
>     the current processor. To test, just install devel/cpuflags and
>     run 'cpuflags'. If it gets it wrong, or complains it cannot
>     work out the flags, please just email me the output :)

It recommends '-march=pentium3' on a NetBSD/amd64 5.99.01 box (GCC
4.1.3), with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU at 3GHz (Kentsfield core). The
best fit for GCC 4.1.3 would be '-march=nocona', and less so
'-march=pentium-m'. Newer GCC versions support keywords for the Core 2,
but I haven't checked whether your script checks the GCC version and
keeps a list of supported options.

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard