Port-i386 archive

Re: upgrading without boot media

Quentin Garnier writes:
- On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 05:07:03PM +0100, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
- > The trouble is, I know that when I am up to speed with these things
- > everything is straightforward really, it's just not cleanly and simply
- > documented anywhere I know to look.   Wouldn't it be generally useful
- > if it were?
-
- Contributions are welcome :)

Well, my path is:
    0.  check /etc/mtree/* to see what sets I've got installed
    1.  download .../<arch>/binary/kernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz
    2.  install above as /upgrade (optionally unzipping.)
    3.  reboot, tell the boot loader to boot /upgrade
    4.  let sysinst do the heavy lifting of upgrading boot
        blocks, downloading files, etc.
    5.  reboot onto new system
    6.  run postinstall and etcupdate
    7.  update/rebuild packages

No removable media needed, and generally, the boot blocks from
older versions of the OS can load the newer kernels. (at least
on x86, but this is port-i386.)

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com