Port-i386 archive

Re: Eee PC 900 vs 901, from the NetBSD user point of view

Joel CARNAT wrote:
Hello,

There's quite some noise about the Eee PC 900 on the dedicated forums.
To summarize (as far as I understood), the 900 would be a 701 running at
normal/full speed (900MHz) but shipped with a smaller battery.
The 901 would come with a brand new Intel chip (Atom) running using less
power and a driving a different wireless (802.11 N) interface.

From my (NetBSD user) point of view, the 900 would be a machine with a
nicer small screen : 9", 1024px wide rather than 7", 800px wide.
Dealing with CPU speed and battery life, I guess the CPU (Celeron-M) can
be software slowed down. I read that you can use the 701 battery with the
900, and also found 6-cells battery for the 900.

The 901 would rather be a "not fully supported (yet)" toy.

What do you guys thing, from the "Of course it runs NetBSD" point of view ?

I wouldn't expect much difference from the 900, but yeah, the 901 might take some work in the lan/wifi department, and I believe has a different azalia codec. I don't think there would be any other issues, but I'm accepting donations just in case :-)

Cheers,
Jared