Port-i386 archive

Re: Intel core 2 duo cpu... i386 or amd64...

ck74 <ck74%operamail.com@localhost> writes:

> Could someone please tell me which port should i use for core 2 duo T 7xxx
> series cpu? I think both are OK but i would like to know main differences
> (advantages and disadvantages).

The basic issue is whether you care more about

  large memory (>3.5G physical, or large virtual spaces)
  having fun fixing third-party programs that are broken for 64-bit
  [in which case go for amd64]

or

  being able to run i386/Linux programs in compat mode
  running random non-64-bit-clean programs

I tend to run i386, except on a new xen server we'll run amd64 on (8G
ram heading for 15 domUs).  I also use a sparc64 for portability testing.