Port-i386 archive

Re: Add a "scroll" keyword to boot.cfg

Matthias Drochner wrote:

> ad%NetBSD.org@localhost said:
> > The clear screen thing
>
> Could you make this optional? I prefer to see the BIOS summary and
> PCI device list while the NetBSD boot countdown is running.
> Or add a "clear" command which can be invoked from boot.cfg.

A "clear" command works for me too.

> simonb%NetBSD.org@localhost said:
> > the biggest usability problem is that the NetBSD bootloader starts in
> > the middle of the screen without clearing it
>
> How is that a problem?

A screen that looks like this:

                 -: Enabled                                                *
Welcome to NetBSD ***********************************************************
================= )  Type       Size    LBA   Block  SMART 32Bit DMA    PIO *
*                                       Mode  Mode   Info  Mode  Mode   Mode*
Please choose an option from the following menu:     N/A   Off   Off    2   *
    1. Go to command line                                                   *
    2. Boot current amd64               PCI Onboard System Device           *
    3. Boot current amd64 single-user   PCI Onboard System Device           *
    4. Boot current i386 ce             PCI Onboard IDE                     *
    5. Boot current i386 single-user    PCI Onboard USB Controller,IRQ10    *
* PCI Onboard USB Controller,IRQ10      PCI Onboard Ethernet,IRQ9           *
Press the key for your chosen option or Return to choose the default (2)    *
Option 2 will be chosen in 0            PCI Bridge RAID,IRQ11               *
type "?" or "help" for help.                                                *
                                                                           00A9
Press <ESC> to boot....5

with the cursor after the ">" 3 lines from the bottom of the screen
(where the "Press <ESC> to boot....5" is the last line of the screen)
isn't too easy to read...

Cheers,
Simon.