Port-i386 archive

Re: bootable disk: how?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, David Laight wrote:
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 05:45:11PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

Possibly something is confused in the CHS/LBA mapping, using mbr_ext
will force LBA disk reads.

Hmm.  Could this be related to the "can't determine number of heads"
message?  (See the message referred to above.)

If fdisk is reporting that, then (I think) the disk isn't being reported
by the bios (in the list of known disks).  This can be confirmed using
'sysctl machdep.diskinfo' which should report the disks and their
corresponding bios disk number (0x8x) together with the size and
geometry reported by the bios.
If the disk isn't reported by the bios, then fdisk has to solve the
simultaenous equations from the mbr partition bounds to determine
the geometry used to set the mbr - which it assumes is the correct
bios geometry.

It might be that the bios is actually trying to boot a different disk!

Occam's razor!

I spent some time earlier this week battling an IBM box which said the boot sector wasn't readable. Problem was that hd0 to the bootloader was wd1 to NetBSD and vica versa. For me it didn't really matter as once I'd got it to boot I was making the disks into a RAID-1 array anyway.

--
Stephen