Port-i386 archive

Re: bootable disk: how?

        Hello.  Having recently felt your pain, I can offer a couple of
suggestions.

        Normally, I use the routine
fdisk -c /usr/mdec/mbr /dev/rwd0d
or the d partition of which ever disk I'm working on.
Then,
fdisk -a /dev/rwd0d
to insure the active partition is the correct one.

Be sure to check and make sure the disklabel and partition tables agree on
which sector the 'a' partition begins.

Next, I do:
cd /usr/mdec
installboot -v -o <options, usually console> /dev/rwd0a bootxx_ffsv1
, since I usually boot from ffsv1 filesystems.

This sets up the partition boot record on the 'a partition, but you know
that. :)

Finally, the one which has tripped me up most recently, is to check and
make sure you have a modern copy of /usr/mdec/boot in the /boot file of the
filesystem you're booting from.  Without this, even with all of those steps
above, you'll get the kinds of error messages you're seeing.
        The reason you want a newish copy of this file is because I've found
that bioses have changed over time, and as I've moved disks from machine to
machine, I've neded what ever magic exists in the newer boot file.
Normally, I'm paranoid and don't touch this file, since it's so critical to
booting.  But, that has bitten me in the proverbial backside on at least
three occasions in the last six months.
        So, since it sounds like you've checked all the other pieces of this
admittedly confusing puzzle, I'd check the /boot file and make sure it's
from at least NetBSD-3.x.

        If that doesn't fix it, insure that you and BIOS agree on which disk
is disk 0.  I've found on some machines, NetBSD and the bios differ wildly
on which disk is wd0, and, consequently, I've been administering to a disk
that the bios doesn't give a wit about.  The machine from which I'm writing
this message, for example, boots from one of its raided disks, the one of
which is a detail of which I am totally ignorant.  My solution? make all of
them bootable and all works as I expect.  This has the side effect of
allowing me to boot when one of the disks dies, either because the bios is
smart enough to try the next disk, or because I  can move disks around in
the machine until it boots again.

        I hope these ramblings help you get on your OS again.
-Brian