Port-i386 archive

BIOS disk geometry versus NetBSD disk geometry

Hi all,

I've installed a 3ware 9500s Raid controller card in a NetBSD4_STABLE system. The card is populated with a 160 G/Byte Western Digital drive (Operating System) and 5 x 1 TeraByte Western Digital drives (Data). I've configured the system to enable Raid level 5 on all the 1 TeraByte drives. Since the Raid level 5 implementation effectively uses-up the space available on a single drive for redundancy, I should have 4 x 1 TeraBytes available for use. So available space should be 7812415488 sectors or 3.63 TeraBytes (approximately).

On startup, the single O/S drive is detected as partition ld0 and the Raid partition is detected as ld1. The problem I'm having is that the BIOS disk geometry reports that the total size of the ld1 device is 7812415488 (as expected) but the NetBSD disk geometry reports the size as 3517448192.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Is there a solution or work-around for this particular problem?

Any asistance will be greatly appreciated.
I've listed the relevant fdisk and disklabel outputs below:

_*fdisk

*_Disk: /dev/rld1d
NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 486300, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 3517448192

BIOS disk geometry:
cylinders: 1024, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
total sectors: 7812415488

Partition table:
0: <UNUSED>
1: <UNUSED>
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
Bootselector disabled.

_*disklabel*_

# /dev/rld1d:
type: ld
disk: unknown
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 486300
total sectors: 3517448192
rpm: 7200
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0        # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0    # microseconds
drivedata: 0

4 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
a: 3517448192 0 4.2BSD 0 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 218951*) d: 3517448192 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 218951*)

Regards,

--
Selvan Naidoo
Integration

Disclaimer and confidentiality note:
The views expressed in this e-mail are, unless otherwise stated, those of the
author and not those of Cathexis Technologies or it's management. The
information in this message is confidential and is legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee/s. Access to this message by anyone other
than the addressee/s is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken or omitted in reliance
on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. While all reasonable steps are taken
to ensure the accuracy and the integrity of information and data transmitted
electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or
responsibility whatsoever is accepted by us should information or data for
whatever reason or cause be corrupted or fail to reach its intended destination.