Port-i386 archive

Re: isapnp probe is slow

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:25:48AM +0900, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 06:12:09PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > Would disabling isapnp based on the age of the system make sense?
>
> I think you can skip it completely if ACPI is attached.

Whyso? I thought about that and I'm not so sure, because there are older
machines with ACPI. Incidentally, it would probably be a good idea to not
attach ACPI on older systems, based on the BIOS date like FreeBSD does.

To refine the SMBIOS idea a bit, perhaps we could skip the ISAPNP probe if:

- the machine has SMBIOS
- SMBIOS has valid entries describing expansion slots
- none of those entries describe an ISA/EISA slot

Andrew