Port-i386 archive

Please help - configuring e-mail

Dear forum members,

I am trying to configure NetBSD to send and receive e-mails. I read the chapter
26 e-mail of the NetBSD guide, but this does not really bring me forward. I am
using NetBSD 4.0 as a desktop without X. All distribution sets are installed
except X. All I want is to be able to be a home user in a text-only NetBSD
system. I would also like to mention, I once tried NetBSD with X and Sylpheed
on the same machine with the same connection, and it worked flawlessly.

I tried to follow the steps in the guide, but when I had to do

postmap /etc/postfix/generic

as described in Chapter 26, it just complained that the hostname is empty. How
do I set the hostname? I have no idea, I tried various things (which I don't
remember, sorry - I tried to set it in rc.conf, in /etc/hosts, and with the
command hostname).

At some point the postmap command seemed to work, but now I am getting:
dhclient: send_packet: Host is down

I tried the example

sendmail myusername

but I get nowhere anything (I am quite sure I did it correctly, I tried many
times):
mail
No mail for myusername

I tried to mail root with myusername, and myusername with root, and myusername
with myusername, nothing works

OK, so what do I have to do in order to set up e-mail? I want to know the STEPS!

So far, I understand it as follows; however, when I tried it yesterday, it
failed:

in /etc/hosts add:
10.0.0.217 mynet
(I am in an internal network of my dormitory, I always get the same IP when I
connect, which is 10.0.0.217.)

in /etc/rc.conf add:
mynet=10.0.0.217

in /etc/postfix/generic write:
myusername@mynet mymailaddress%mailprovider.net@localhost

then do:
postmap /etc/profile/generic

in /etc/postfix/main.cf add:

relayhost = mail.mymailprovider.net
smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

Then reboot.

(then configure mutt & fetchmail)

Is this ALL, or do I have to do anything ELSE? Thank you in advance for your
kind help.

Kind regards,

Nino
--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free