[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Details on problems booting with EDEN Samuel 2 processor
I noticed after upgrading from NetBSD 3 to 4 on my Eden Samuel 2 box, that
I could no longer boot a gzipped kernel. The bootloader would hang during
the first stage of loading the kernel (i.e. display something like:
booting hd0a:netbsd- starting in 0
Ctrl-Alt-Del works at this point.
Note that counter has counted up but cursor positioning has gone a bit
odd. I've also seen on occasion that holding a key down during the kernel
load messes up the spinner and can even make the kernel attempt boot up in
a different graphics mode. Very strange...
So, armed with a pencil, paper and patience, I worked through combinations
of mbr, bootxx_ffsv1, /boot, kernel versions and gzipping.
- version of mbr code made no difference.
- bootxx_ffsv1 from NetBSD 4 (and current) resets the machine completely.
I've committed a fix to this (build it with -DEPIA_HACK) and submitted a
pullup request for NetBSD 4.
- once I'd built bootxx_ffsv1 with EPIA_HACK, there was little difference
between v3 and v4 versions. However, it seems that v4 is more
unreliable; in about 30% of boots it hangs. It doesn't seem to be
related to cold vs warm reset.
- /boot from NetBSD 3 will fail to boot the kernel if there has been any
key press. i.e. it will load a kernel if left alone, but if a key is
pressed and then "boot" is entered at the boot prompt, it will fail even
though it's the same kernel
- /boot from NetBSD 3 will happily boot either gzipped or non-gzipped
- /boot from NetBSD 4 does not have the key press problem
- /boot from NetBSD will always fail loading a gzipped kernel, but will
reliably load a non-gzipped kernel (subject to the bootxx_ffsv1
I'm attempting to migrate our (meaning my company's) installed base from
NetBSD-3 based version to NetBSD-4. At the moment, the only work around
seems to be to keep an old copy of /boot around (which I don't want - I
should be able to build from a netbsd-4 tree).
All suggestions welcome!
Main Index |
Thread Index |