Port-i386 archive

Re: MATH_EMULATE

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Anyway, in general, things rot if they're not tested after changes. It
is the way of software. My worry is that, if we set up a special
FPUless x86 compile option set, no one will be testing it regularly
and it will break again soon.

I think you're right about the regularity of the tests - people using old machines tend to upgrade less IMO, because they mostly don't need the need the newest features and upgrades are generally more painful on old hardware.

In fact, Andrew Doran committed a change today to fix the 486DX -- it
had apparently been broken in -current for 9 months... (I don't know
if that breakage was in NetBSD 4 as well, but it may have been, in
which case you might want to test a -current from right now.)

Could do, but I'm limited to snapshots right now.

Did it panic? If so, can you force it into ddb?

No, the machine restarts right after loading the kernel:

NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 3.2
(builds%b0.netbsd.org@localhost, Tue Oct 31 03:51:04 UTC 2006)
Memory: 639/15360 k
boot netbsd-GENERIC -v
booting hd0a:netbsd-GENERIC (howto 0x20000)
9392308+424996+363564 [478480+465798]=0xa9e464

and at this points, the machine restarts. The kernel is -current snapshot few days old. Tried with GENERIC_LAPTOP and GENERIC.NOACPI as well, results are the same.

Vit Herman