Subject: Re: How to change serial baud rate on already installed bootblocks (netbsd-3-0-RELEASE)
To: Job Hanssen <job.hanssen@xs4all.nl>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/2007 23:31:11
On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 09:44:03AM +0200, Job Hanssen wrote:

> The system came up fine. When I checked the disklabel, there was none on
> _any_ of the netbsd-partitions. However, the kernel's view of things was
> fine, so it must have 'guessed' the partitions by itself.

The kernel will also look in sector one of the disk.
I don't think disklabel (in 3.0) looks there.

> Just to be safe,
> I again tried to install the disklabel on /dev/rwd0a, and that now
> succeeded. So I guess there can only be one disklabel on a mbr-paritition?

The best way to look at it is:
1) The disklabel describes the disk partitioning
2) On i386 it is written to sector 1 of (all of in 4.0) the type 169 mbr
   partition.
So if you have multiple type 169 mbr partitions, then you (may) have multiple
copies of the same disklabel.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk