Subject: Re: sysinst & file sets?
To: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/2007 10:44:15
On Sep 1, 2007, at 1:04 AM, James Hartley wrote:

> I downloaded one of the recent 4.0_BETA2 snapshots, 200708290002Z.
> Since I still had a NetBSD 3.1 install ISO, i386cd-3.1.iso, I booted
> it, ran through the install process as expected, yet swapped out the
> disc for the one containing the 4.0_BETA2 file sets.  If I install all
> thirteen file sets, installation is fine.  If I swap in a disc which
> does not contain the X file sets, I get into an endless loop upon
> reboot.  What is the preferred means of installing the base file sets
> without X as I want to install modular X.org from pkgsrc?

Use a 4.0 install CD and your problems will most likely go away.

At the moment, you are using an old kernel to install more recent
userland.  The installer executes programs from the target system
during installation (that is, 4.0 programs with a 3.0 kernel).  This
means that these programs can crash due to missing syscalls or other
support from the kernel, and you'll certainly get weird results.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>