Subject: Re: support for unconfigured PCI devices, esp. SD card reader
To: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/2007 01:50:43
--NJ5+aVN4Egd/eJfU

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 06:10:35PM -0400, Anne Bennett wrote:
>=20
> Hi, all.
>=20
> I have an HP Pavilion a1620n (Intel-based), and I have not yet managed
> to get all of its PCI devices completely recognized.  I tried updating my
> kernel sources to the latest NetBSD 3.1 with:
>=20
>   cd /usr/src/sys && cvs -q update -dP -r netbsd-3-1
>=20
> (and of course re-creating the kernel), but the command didn't patch
> /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/{pcidevs,pcidevs.h,pcidevs_data.h}, nor any
> /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/devname.c files, which I would expect to be needed to
> recognize new devices.  The ones still giving me a bit of a hard time are:
>=20
>   (1) unconfigured at pci1 ... Conexant product 0x2f20 (card reader?)
>   (2) vga1 at pci0 ... Intel product 0x2772  [graphics card]
>   (3) pcib0 at pci0 ... Intel product 0x27b1 (has sub-devices, anyway)
>   (4) unconfigured at pci0 ... Intel SMBus Controller 8201GB
>   (5) fw at fwohci0 not configured
>=20
> "2" and "3" seem to work despite the lack of a "name", and I don't
> even know what an SMBus Controller does, so that one is probably not

-current as of yesterday has support for the SMBus controller.  Not
worth spending time on it, though.

> urgent either.  "5" probably needs an entry in the kernel config file
> (maybe "fw* at fwohci?") but I don't see a handy example in the sample
> kernel configs.

As Pavel said, the Conexant chip is a modem (I'd guess you have a modem
PCI card in that box).

=46rom the dmesg output, I really don't see where the card reader could
be;  even if umass(4) was missing, we'd have a line for an unconfigured
USB device.

Could you run acpidump from pkgsrc (in sysutils)?  And make available
the file from acpidump -o file?  I wonder if the card reader could be
an ACPI device;  not that it would help us supporting it, but at least
locate it.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--NJ5+aVN4Egd/eJfU

--NJ5+aVN4Egd/eJfU--