Subject: NetBSD v3.0 and USB devices
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/26/2007 20:21:10
Dear reader.

I believe it should be possible to use NetBSD v3.0 with USB devices
but so far I have had no luck. I have not been able to find anything
about NetBSD and USB devices in the official NetBSD guide and FAQs and
searching on Google has not left me any more enlightened so far.

I am running

root@myhost:/root # uname -a
NetBSD myhost 3.0 NetBSD 3.0 (GENERIC) #0: Mon Dec 19 01:04:02 UTC 2005  builds@works.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-RELEASE/i386/200512182024Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386
root@myhost:/root #

on an IBM Aptiva 2178-840.

When I connect various USB devices (iAudio5 and Zoom H4) to the USB
port I get no reaction in the /var/log/messages file. When I connect
a USB disk (actually it is an IDE/ATA disk connected via a Newertech
USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter) I get the following message in
/var/log/messages and nothing else:

Jul 26 19:35:12 myhost /netbsd: ahc1: Someone reset channel A

Am I wrong in assuming that NetBSD v3.0 and USB devices can be used
together?

Must I be using a special kernel (or a newer version)?

Can anybody point me to more documentation about this matter?

Kind regards
  Ib-Michael Martinsen
--
Email at home: imm(at)nethotel.dk