Subject: Re: OptiPlex 745 problems
To: None <r.phillips@jkmrc.com>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/2007 13:59:50
Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Johan.
>
> >I was trying to install NetBSD on one of these machines at work.  NetBSD
> >3 did not recognize the onboard Gigabit Ethernet, but 4.0 Beta did.
>
> Doesn't your dmesg output show the Ethernet card not being configured?

 I went back through my notes at work where i was trying various OSes out
on the Dell OptiPlex 745, and indeed, i made an error.  I incorrectly
recollected that NetBSD 4.0 was able to use the onboard Ethernet
interface, but it was actually FreeBSD 7.0-current that worked with the
interface. (The older version of FreeBSD did not.  And apparently none of
the NetBSD insall ISOs configured the onboard Ethernet interface.

 Sorry for the confusion -- i had tried about 7 different OSes over 3
days, and my recollections got a little muddled.

 -johan