Subject: Re: thinkpad: T60p vs Z61p... or macbook
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/2007 19:55:10
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:31:36 -0400 (EDT)
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > I believe the problem is lack of good-enough ACPI support -- and
> > T60s don't have APM. At least on my T42, I lose the USB ports if I
> > do an ACPI "suspend" (it's not really called suspend, but you know
> > that better than I do...).  On some machines, there's also trouble
> > with the display, though I think that switching to a text console
> > before suspending is a useful workaround.
>
> One small correction -- the issue isn't with our ACPI support, it is
> a lack of proper power management within the USB HCD device drivers
> (and most other device drivers on NetBSD as well). The fact that
> suspend/resume works on some configurations is pretty much a fluke.

Understood, but it's a distinction without a difference.  On my T42, I
can do suspend/resume with APM, but not with ACPI, which means that on
ACPI-only machines, I'm toast.  (It's also why I may have to switch to
FreeBSD or Linux in the fall, when I get a new laptop.  It's not that
I want to; rather, it's that a laptop that doesn't do suspend/resume
properly is useless to me.)