Subject: Re: OptiPlex 745 problems
To: None <r.phillips@jkmrc.com>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/2007 09:53:53
Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Johan.
>
> >I was trying to install NetBSD on one of these machines at work.  NetBSD
> >3 did not recognize the onboard Gigabit Ethernet, but 4.0 Beta did.
>
> Doesn't your dmesg output show the Ethernet card not being configured?

Oops, yes, it does appear that way.  I was installing  different version
of different OSes, but IIRC, one version of NetBSD resulted in an active
network, and another did not.  I'll have to go back and retests.  It's
possible i'm confusing FreeBSD and NetBSD in my recollection.

> Did you have the NIC connected to a gigabit switch and notice how
> quickly it transferred data?

No, i think my observation was based on whether or not i was able to
configure the interface during installation.

 I'll try and make time to check today (it's my work desktop, so i have to
shutdown and go through the CD-ROMs i burned).

 -johan