Subject: Re: OptiPlex 745 problems
To: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/2007 13:21:14
Thanks for your reply Johan.

>I was trying to install NetBSD on one of these machines at work.  NetBSD
>3 did not recognize the onboard Gigabit Ethernet, but 4.0 Beta did.

Doesn't your dmesg output show the Ethernet card not being configured?

>pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
>pci3: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, wr/inv ok
>vendor 0x14e4 product 0x167a (ethernet network, revision 0x02) at
>pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured

Did you have the NIC connected to a gigabit switch and notice how
quickly it transferred data?

>  I can't explain why your -current wouldn't see it.

Since sending my question to the list I remembered I should have
looked at the kernel configuration files.  When I did I discovered
bnx (which seems to be the driver for this NIC) is commented out in
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/INSTALL but not in
/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC, so perhaps the NIC would have
worked if I'd continued with the installation.

I notice bnx isn't commented out in
/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf/INSTALL or GENERIC so I'll try amd64
when I next have access to these machines.

>NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (INSTALL_LARGE) #0: Mon Jun  4 13:11:44 PDT 2007
>
>builds@wb33:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-4/i386/200706040002Z-obj/home/builds/
>ab/netbsd-4/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL_LARGE
>total memory = 3069 MB
>rbus: rbus_min_start set to 0xc0000000
>avail memory = 3004 MB
>timecounter: Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
>userconf: configure system autoconfiguration:
>uc> disable ehci
>[136] ehci* disabled
>uc> quit
>Continuing...
>timecounter: Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 100
>BIOS32 rev. 0 found at 0xffea0

Thanks, I didn't know about userconf(4).

Ray