Subject: Re: Decent X resolution with Parallels?
To: didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@libertysurf.fr>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/2007 21:26:04
--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

> >From the manual, page 75:
> http://www.parallels.com/files/upload/Parallels%20Workstation%202_2%20Use=
r%20Guide%20Nov%2022.pdf
>=20
> it seems you have to specify (xf86cfg, xf86config or edit
> /etc/X11/XF86Config) a VESA graphic driver and 4096K of
> video ram . (and of course resolutions/depths that you want).

Indeed, I confirm VESA driver works fine. FWIW I wasn't able to use X
with resolution 800x600 and 1024x768, but 1280x1024 worked fine.
Perhaps setting the video ram explicitly would fix that.

It's arguably more convenient to use the MacMini as X server, rather
then running the X server on NetBSD inside Parallels. That way, you
get cut & paste and it would prolly be also faster.

This is possible if you ssh -X -Y (you need the ForwardX11Trusted
for cut & paste) to NetBSD inside Parallels from an xterm started
on MacOS X11 server. ssh takes care of tunnelling the X11 protocol
back to the Mac, and setting DISPLAY properly on NetBSD.

Jaromir
--=20
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--