Subject: Re: non-ACPI kernel for 4.0?
To: None <martin@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/2007 15:49:49
Martin,

WRT your mail about only needing to modify 1 place to load things for the
bootloader: If that works, fine. But I still think it's easy for short
term (= 4.0) to add a non-ACPI kernel instead of do that. We can always
remove it alter on, once the situation has improved.

At least building a kernel w/o acpi & ioapic got me a working kernel,
and I'm afraid I won't be the only one who can use that.

To move this forward: I'd like to add a GENERIC.NOACPI kernel for the
release and sysinst, to get it into 4.0. If there are serious objections
or better alternative, I'd like to hear about it - "boot -c" certainly is
not.

  - Hubert