Subject: Re: 3.1_STABLE and SMP
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/30/2007 19:29:50
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Fri_Mar_30_19:29:48_2007-1

At Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:46:21 -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>=20
> 	Hello.  I've found the NetBSD-3 branch to be stable ona number of MP
> based systems, runing in MP mode.  However, there is one case where I can
> reliably cause the behavior you describe on any hardware with more than o=
ne
> processor running in MP mode.  If you run sendmail on the box, and sendma=
il
> is doing any amount of work at all, it will hang hard at some point,
> whether it be a few hours, or a couple of days.  I'm not sure what it is
> about sendmail that hangs the box, but it's the only scenario I've been
> able to introduce on an MP based system which has this effect.  I'm sure
> it's not sendmail which is the problem, but what ever it does that causes
> it to be a symptom seems to be fairly unique in the environments I run MP
> based systems in.

Do you have a DDB stack backtrace, assuming you can get into DDB from
the hung state?

Could you build at your kernel with LOCKDEBUG defined too?  (I prefer
building all of userland with LOCKDEBUG defined too, just for those few
kmem grovelers that need to know how LOCKDEBUG affects kernel
structures, but if the problem is easy to reproduce then you should only
need to run with the LOCKDEBUG kernel for a short while)

You might also want DIAGNOSTIC (and maybe DEBUG) defined for your kernel
too.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>