Subject: External RS-232 real time clock reference pulse
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Video Mike <bsdfun@comcast.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/16/2007 11:59:51
Dear NetBSD,

I am using NetBSD for an automation system for a radio
station and neither DSL nor broadband is available where
the system is at so I discovered while reading the man
page for options(4) that I can lock the real time clock
onto an external source by using the kernel's "options
PPS_SYNC".  This involves the DCD line I believe on one
of the COM ports.

Question is does this work on V4 Beta and am I correct
to assume that it requires a 1 pulse per second clock
from an accurate frequency reference?  If so, then I
can design a nice clock generator that has an RS-232
output drive to do this.

--Thanks from Video Mike--