Subject: Re: Sysinst won't install onto ld0 on NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2
To: David W. Rankin Jr. <>
From: Matthias Scheler <>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/2007 12:56:37
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:12:10AM -0500, David W. Rankin Jr. wrote:
> > Exit out of "sysinst" via the menu and try "dmesg | grep ld" to figure
> > out whether NetBSD recognized any
> The boot messages (as below, from a capture of the boot output) shows
> ld0. dmesg can read and write ld0, but one strange message pops up:
> 	fdisk: DIOCGDEFLABEL: Inappropriate ioctl for device

That might be the cause of your problem.

> also, disklabel ld0d shows the messages
> 	disklabel: boot block size 0
> 	disklabel: super block size 0
> Are these messages side-effects of the nature of ld0, or something more
> significant?

It means that there is no valid NetBSD disklabel on the disk. This is of
course to be expected before the installation.

> sysinst seems to be the only problem. When I attempt to run sysinst to
> do an install, instead of giving me ld0d to choose, it says:
>  I can not find any hard disks for use by NetBSD.

Which is probably caused by the "fdisk" problem.

BTW: how old is your NetBSD 4.0_BETA2?

Your problem might have been fixed by these two pullups:

	Kind regards

Matthias Scheler