Subject: Re: OT: copying a WinXP disk
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/17/2006 17:19:16
I now configure any WinXP laptops to have a separate partition for
my data, which I configure as a FAT32 partition so I can write to
it from NetBSD.  Then for upgrades I use NetBSD and tar/cpio to
copy the data over the network.  May take overnight, but it generally
saves me a lot of hassle.

This two-partition setup also greatly simplifies doing re-installs
of WinXP as I can just blow away the C: drive, recreate it, and
reinstall any apps (from the distributed .zips saved on the data
partition).

I use the Linux System Rescue CD <www.sysrescd.org> and use `parted'
(or is it qparted?) to shrink the WinXP partition to 8-10GB.  It's
a simple Qt app and has worked fine for me.

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli