Subject: Re: i386 install media status ?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2006 07:56:12
David Laight wrote:
> I'd also suggest that there may be old systems that won't boot with
> the acpi kernel, or need support for old devices.  In both cases its
> seems sane to keep a sub 2.8MB install kernel+ramdisk.

I think for standard install media, if we're going to now ignore the
2.88MB limit in the default case, the INSTALL kernel should really be
nothing more than something like:

	include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC"
	options         MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
	options         MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT
	options         MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=0
	options         MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=10000

Or whatever is the syntax... apart from reducing maintenance headaches
it will also give a better idea at install time of the hardware support
(and potential brokenness) once the install is complete.

Cheers,
Jared