Subject: Re: i386 install media status ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/2006 22:59:04
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 06:42:54PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 06:55:38PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > so what's the status of the i386 install media ? Are we stil limited by
> > the 2,88K floppy emulation for CD boot ?
> >
> > Thanks to Quentin I think we can now safely add acpi+ioapic to INSTALL
> > (it can be disabled by boot -c) but we may hit the size limit again ...
>
> Do another ramdisk for the INSTALL.ACPI kernel, without the 2.8 GB
> floppy limit - the 'floppy' image might be useful for copying to a
> USB stick....

What is the purpose of the floppy image with 2.88 MB limit? We have
bootable CDROMs under i386/installation/cdrom, without size limit. If you
want to use floppies instead of CDROM, you can use the images split
to multiple 1.44 floppies. Are we afraid of BIOSes which can't boot from
"no emulation" bootable CDs and require the "emulated floppy" method?

Pavel