Subject: Re: Resolving bootfloopy-big size limit
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/2006 21:07:57
On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 04:16:56PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [ Please CC me any replies. ]
>
> The bootfloppy-big installation disk image is every now and then
> giving problems due to its size limit.  This is set to 2.88MB to allow
> its use in El-Torito floppy disk emulation bootable ISO images.

What about stopping the build of the current 'tiny' images, moving
some additionaly stuff from 'ramdisk-big' into 'ramdisk-tiny' to limit
the kernels with ramdisk-tiny down to used 2.8M for install on systems
that can't boot the 'non floppy emulation' CD.
(Probably only i386, i486 and very early pentiums?)

I'm sure that no one actually needs the images that are crafted to
fit onto a 5.25" floppy any more, nor really the install media for
system with <16MB of memory.
Small images can always be generated locally anway.

It is also worth remembering that, since the kernel is compressed,
the size of the ramdisk doesn't matter much - just how much stuffing
it has - provided the system itself has enough contiguous memory
at 1MB for the kernel, and enough space overall to run.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk