Subject: Re: Resolving bootfloopy-big size limit
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/2006 22:36:01
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> On 11/11/06, Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> >> [ Please CC me any replies. ]

And please do not cc me.

> >Also increase the FLOPPYMAX=n limits, as and when necessary, in the
> >bootfloppy sets that are intended to be used with actual floppies.
>
> That happens already, isn't it?  (And anyway, why do we have to set
> a limit?  That only brings problems periodically when the images
> overflow.)

Noticing that the build failed could potentially be a reminder for
updating the install instructions when the number of floppies changes.

> I was talking about the CD images that will be part of the release
> tree generated by, e.g. distrib/i386/cdroms/bootcd-com.  That will
> generate a ~10MB image that does not include the sets, and an end user
> cannot easily modify it to include them.

I don't understand why we have two different ways of building bootable
CDs (etc/Makefile and distrib/i386/cdroms).  I think the two ways should
be unified somehow, and that the output should include the installation
sets (including src and pkgsrc), and should be bootable without any
2.8MB size limit.  It would also be nice if users could easily build
custom CDs, say adding a custom kernel, removing unwanted kernels or
sets, adding their choice of binary packages.  I don't know exactly how
to achieve all that.

> Is it easy to build El Torito hard disk CDs?

I haven't done it, but the docs for mkisofs and makefs -t cd9660 suggest
that it's easy (once you have a bootable hard disk image).

--apb (Alan Barrett)