Subject: Re: Removing I386_CPU from GENERIC and INSTALL
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/2006 14:06:53
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:33:19PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> <flamebait>
> I sometimes wonder whether we still need 80386 support at all. You can
> get easily get 80486 and even Pentium based systems for free. And old
> 80386 PCs don't have the charm of e.g. a SPARCstation 2 or an Amiga
> which would make it worthwhile to keep them.
> </flamebait>

Regarding the 80386 specifically, I also don't understand why we continue to
provide an option that doesn't work, and has neither any real utility nor
real users. Can you look in the mirror and honestly say that a free Unix
from 2006 is a good choice for systems that were underpowered in their day?

Sure, I can see that someone might want to keep a 386 system running for the
novelty value or maybe to use as a vt100, but an older Unix would serve
those kinds of needs quite well.

Cheers,
Andrew -- also not looking to start a flame war, just expressing my opinion.