Subject: Re: Removing I386_CPU from GENERIC and INSTALL
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/2006 16:41:59
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:33:19PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> <flamebait>
> I sometimes wonder whether we still need 80386 support at all. You can
> get easily get 80486 and even Pentium based systems for free. And old
> 80386 PCs don't have the charm of e.g. a SPARCstation 2 or an Amiga
> which would make it worthwhile to keep them.
> </flamebait>

or the utility, considering the most common 80386s topped out at 8MB of
RAM.

swapping is not fun no matter what platform you're on.

GENERIC and INSTALL have been on the large side with 8MB i386 machines
since NetBSD 1.5.

still, I'm holding onto my 386s if only because everybody else is
tossing theirs.

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt