Subject: Re: azalia and headphone sockets
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/28/2006 20:04:42
On Saturday 28 October 2006 17:27, Simon Burge wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 640m with azalia audio.  When I plug some
> headphones in to the socket, both the speakers and the phones get the
> sound.  Anyone seen anything like this?
>
> I notice in dev/pci/azalia_codec.c there's a bit where if it's using the
> Realtek ALC260 codec that does:
>
> 		/* If the headphone presents, mute the internal speaker */
>
> but there's no equivalent section for the Sigmatel STAC9220 codec.
>
> AZALIA_DEBUG also doesn't show anything about headphones vs speakers,
> and no debug output of any type when headphone is plugged in or removed.

This was noted on my Dell Inspiron laptop which uses the Sigmatel STAC9220. A
bug report was submitted under

kern/34071 [non-critical/medium]:
        azalia device driver doesn't support pin sensing

I'm currently in Beijing and unable to follow-up on Tamura Kent's request at
the moment. The azalia didn't have an event handler for this chipset when I
last looked at the source code and suspect that it still hasn't been
implemented.

cheerio Berndt