Subject: Re: Boot problems with Mini-itx PD6000E
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/2006 00:33:08
On 15 Oct 2006, at 19:15, Claus Andersen wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, David Lord wrote:
>
> > Mid June I built up a server using a EPIA PD6000E m/b. I sort of
> > remember some issue with getting it to boot after install of NetBSD
> > 3.0 but didn't save the details.
>
> You're probably thinking of PR 26007:
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=26007
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> I don't know about the geometry issues but I do know that the
> bootloader has problems on some Epia boards.
>
> > Other problem is that I can't get a NetBSD-4_20061001 cd to boot on
> > this system whereas the cd boots ok on my desktop (celeron 733). I
> > might burn a second cd in case it's just the media.
>
> Depends on how far you get. If the CD starts booting at least, the
> media is probably fine. I'd try with a 1.6 bootloader:
> http://netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#via_epia_bootloader

Thanks for that link.

I don't think that's the problem here as on first of the PD6000E I
setup with 3.0 then 3.0.1 and now 3.1rc1 all have been fine, single
user as well. It's possible there are some differences between the
two setups and I'll compare dmesg from each and note details of m/b
bios versions at next reboots. One difference is on first setup the
cd is master on second controller whilst this new one it's slave on
first controller and there is a removable hdd on second controller
onto which I'm currently restoring the dumps from first system. I'm
then intending to wipe and attempt install of NetBSD-4 to wd0 using
the bootloader from 1.6.1 as described in the faq just in case.

David