Subject: Re: Version 3.0.1 and 200609170000Z hangs upon boot
To: None <bsdfun@comcast.net>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/2006 17:06:47
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, bsdfun@comcast.net wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Video Mike wrote:
>>> I just bought a new Intel DG965ry Desktop Board with the Celeron D
>>> Duo Core CPU. When booting the installation CD created from either
>>> 3.0.1 or 200609170000Z, the system simply hangs when it polls for
>>> the wd0 device. This is a 80GB Western Digital drive connected to
>>> a SATA port on the mainboard. Where can I locate a SATA driver for
>>> NetBSD for either of these versions? or can a driver be found in
>>> version 4.0 beta or alpha to support this mainboard?
>>
>> Have you got a dmesg?
>
> I can come up with the dmesg output, but, I'll have to type it up or
> take a photo of it since the system hangs at the wd0 sata line.

Can you just take a note of the bits alongside the IDE controller (e.g.
pciide, piixide, viaide, etc.)?

>> Have you tried altering the IDE controller settings in BIOS (e.g.
>> Compatible vs Enhanced mode)?
>
> I tried two settings that are available and they are "IDE" and "AHCI".
> Neither work.

I originally replied to you just to be helpful, but I've realised that
coincidentally I've a machine here that has the same symptoms (I've been
installing a custom embedded version of NetBSD on it based on 1.6.2 and
2.1 - I'd assumed that one of 3.x, 4.0 or -current would just work).

If you can get the ide controller info as above it would be really useful.
If this is the same chipset, it gives me something to test with.

--
Stephen