Subject: Thinkpad 1161-210 with DWL-G650 H/W v B5
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kenneth Freidank <kennethcf@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2006 21:46:58
I just wanted to share some good news that might benefit others...

I am running netbsd current (3.99.21) on my Thinkpad laptop with only
64M memory as the 2nd boot option (and 2nd partition) on 3.2G of drive
space.  The other 2.0G belongs to Windows 98 as a FAT32 partition so I
can share files (1st boot option & partition of my dual boot laptop).

I have only used 1G of my 3.2G of space, and I have loaded from
pkgsrc2006-Q2:

    * X windows (from 3.99.21)
          o Thinkpad has the LynxEM+ chips with 2MB memory
          o Runs virtual 1024 x 768 16 bit color on an 800x600 dual scan LCD
          o or 640x480 or 800x600 at 24 bit color (I never use these)
    * xfce4
    * xfce4 utilities (1 exception see bug pkg/34167)
    * xscreensaver
    * firefox
    * apache
    * postgres - just a small db, but server deamon is active,
    * qt3-lib - for bouml
    * bouml uml modeler & code gen (downloaded from http://bouml.free.fr)
    * emacs
    * openssl
    * nfs client, seems to lock up unless I allow a ping command to free
      run on another machine against my Thinkpad.

I build all packages on another, not so vintage, machine with the same
current version, and then pkg_add on my laptop;  I keep the machines at
the same kernel, xsrc, and userland version.  The /usr/src and
/usr/pkgsrc directories are NFS mounted over a wirless LAN.  I could not
get the DWL-G650 hardware version B5 card to work without going to current.