Subject: Re: Intel Mini?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/05/2006 09:25:20
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Honestly, this is my biggest reason for not using NetBSD on a desktop system,
> as well.  Note: I wouldn't use Solaris, or Linux, or anything else for that
> matter that depended on klunky X11 apps for day-to-day stuff like email,
> calendaring, web browsing, etc.  No, text-based apps don't count.
>
> KDE, GNOME, Firefox, whatever ... they all suck, IMO.  I just happen to like
> the Mac apps a whole lot better.

In William Jolitz's interview on bsdtalk, he says (and I'm paraphrasing
here) that the BSDs focus too much on hidden kernel features that the
majority of people never use and not enough on things users actually see
and that's why the growth of their adoption will always be limited:
http://cisx1.uma.maine.edu/~wbackman/bsdtalk/bsdtalk029.mp3

--
Stephen