Subject: Re: Intel Mini?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2006 16:34:51
--vJguvTgX93MxBIIe

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 04:20:36PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20061003210931.GM23575@kirkkit.kollasch.net>, "Jonathan A. Ko=
llasch
> " writes:
> >I really can't see why anyone would want Mac hardware that's
> >not significantly different than stuff that's often cheaper, and
> >better supported by NetBSD.
>=20
> The pragmatic reason is that I had to get an Intel Mini for a project, and
> now I have it, and it would be an upgrade from what I'm currently using as
> a desktop.

Ok, that's a good enough reason.  Of course you could follow the poor examp=
le
of a few of the NetBSD devs and just use OS X. :P

>=20
> That said, if you can suggest a dual-processor x86 that can take 2GB of
> memory, with an 80GB disk and a DVD burner, which runs absolutely silently
> under normal load, takes up almost no desk space, and has a comparable
> budget, I'd love to hear about it.  I have never seen one, though.  And n=
o,
> a "microATX" case isn't the same.  This thing is fanless except under loa=
d,
> and essentially inaudible.  It makes an excellent desktop.

True, these are harder to find. The closest thing I can find is the HP
s7600 series. At 108W I'm not sure how quiet it would be. Anyway.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--vJguvTgX93MxBIIe

--vJguvTgX93MxBIIe--