Subject: Re: Boot problem - Error no operating system on SATA drive
To: Peter Hardman <peter@ssbg.zetnet.co.uk>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/2006 07:47:28
On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:38:08PM +0100, Peter Hardman wrote:
> The cd doesn't have hexdump, and mounting the /usr slice and running from
> there, (or from hexdump on a floppy)  hexdump fails with a syntax error
> - I guess it must need something else beside the executable.

Most particularly /libexec/ld.elf_so, chroot is the only way to find it.

> mbr_ext can't find the OS either...
>
> I need to get hexdump working.  I'll have to put the IDE drive back
> tomorrow and run hexdump from there.  I've not got into that level of detail
> yet.  Its a nifty tool- you can read the all the gory details in the mbr (or
> I could if my brain could dig out it's 386 machine code reference :)

In this case you only need to see if there is anything there at all.
The 'gory details' or the mbr code are best looked at in its source.
(And I've a long-standing offer of a beer for anyone who saves a byte
from mbr_ext or mbr_bootsel while mainating the same functionality.)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk