Subject: 3Ware 6xxx raid controller firmware
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/21/2006 14:28:19
If you have a 3w-6xxx raid controller with the latest firmware (see
below), working with NetBSD I'd like to know.

Alternatively if you have an earlier version of firmware on such a
card working with big disks I'd like to know.

I have a 3w-6410 raid controller, to which I want to add a pair of
300G disks.

While poking around www.3ware.com I found they have updated firmware
for this card...

Release 6.9 has firmware 1.02.28.053
	This adds support for large disks (> 137G) sounds like I might
	need this

Release 6.8 has firmware 1.02.03.053

My card probes as

twe0: 4 ports, Firmware FE6X 1.02.00.029, BIOS BEXX 1.07.00.009
twe0: Monitor ME6X 1.01.00.024, PCB Rev2    , Achip V4.40   , Pchip V5.70

According to the 6.9 release notes firmware version 1.00.xx.xxx or
1.01.xx.xxx indicate a release prior to 6.6, so my card is either 6.6
or 6.7

The 6.9 release notes warn that the dirver, firmware, BIOS and utils
must all be upgraded (possibly due to the 48bit addressing support).

Since NetBSD doesn't use their driver (but does appear to know about
some opcodes introduced in the most recent version), it isn't
immediately clear whether it is safe to upgrade the firmware.

So, if you have a similar card with the 6.9 firmware,
or you have earlier firmware but are happily using disks > 137G
please let me know.

Thanks
--sjg