Subject: pkgsrc's Xorg, xdm and default vt
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Pierre Pronchery <khorben@defora.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/2006 18:18:14
	Hi,

I would like to know before filing a PR if anyone can reproduce the
latest issue I had with Xorg from pkgsrc. It seems that a default setup
with xdm had the keyboard grabbed by the default console or something,
as I could not use the keyboard at all at the xdm login prompt.

I used the xdm configuration files from /usr/pkg/etc/xorg/xdm. They are
for headless servers only, like those from the "examples" folder (rant
#1), and xdm stops silently if you try them (rant #2, who wants to use
debugging output to figure this out?). So I simply added the following
line to "Xservers" so that xdm would be actually useful:
:0 local /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/X -nolisten tcp

Then, I ran xdm while being logged on a local text console and
everything was fine. So I tweaked my rc.conf and the xdm startup script
to use xdm from Xorg, modifying the next two lines:
command="/usr/pkg/xorg/bin/${name}"
required_files="/usr/pkg/etc/xorg/xdm/xdm-config"
and they did the trick, I could start xdm from the rc.d script.

However upon reboot, my login screen only took input from my mouse. I
had no way but shutting down the laptop by the power button. If that's
useful, here is an extract from my ttys file:
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

I had the same behaviour with the default setup I got (console on and
ttyE0 off).

I am currently using a workaround, by forcing the X server to use vt5.

I am currently running:
NetBSD 3.99.23 (GENERIC.MPACPI)
xorg-server-6.9.0nb11
xorg-clients-6.9.0nb7

I can provide full dmesg output, Xorg configuration, etc if necessary.

HTH,
--
khorben